Enrollment Information for All Campers
Dear Campers and Parents:
Welcome to Northern Summer Academy at Northern Academy of the Arts in Middletown. We are excited to welcome returning campers and new families for a memorable summer experience.
The following information will help you prepare for a great camp season:
Registration and Enrollment Documents
- Register online
- Registration Form
- Complete enrollment documents below with original signatures. Please download, read, sign, scan and email all enrollment documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30, 2019 (or July 20th for second session only). Submitting these forms early will help expedite the enrollment process.
- NSA Parent/Student Handbook (Please read handbook, then sign the last page.)
- Medical Emergency Form & Consent to Treat (If your regular health insurance provider does not provide coverage for your child while abroad, consider purchasing short-term coverage. Northern Summer Academy strongly advises students to purchase travelers insurance.)
- Photo Release Agreement
- Dorm Rules Agreement (Sleepaway campers only)
- Pick-up forms (if parents want to authorize other people to pick up campers)
All parents (including PM Extension programs) are invited to attend the orientation on the 1st day of each camp session (July 1st and/or July 22nd).
Address & Parking
Please park in the parking lot at 1 Ashley Avenue, Middletown, NY 10940. In-person registration will be at the Dance Studio Building across the street (49 Seward Ave.)
First Day – Registration
July 1, 2019 for Session 1 (July 1–20, 2019)
July 22, 2019 for Session 2 (July 22–Aug 10, 2019)
8:30 am: Arrival of first time campers, registration and document check
9:00 am: Parent orientation and campus tour
9:00 – 10:00 am: Orientation for campers
10:15 am: Classes begin
Schedules and Fun Activities
Please check here for updated weekly schedules during the summer sessions.
During the first two days, campers are encouraged to take different classes including science, dance, music, fine arts, Chinese and other activities. By the second day, campers should decide on their schedule for the rest of the session.
Last Day – Performance
July 20, 2019 for Session 1 (July 1–20, 2019)
Aug 10, 2019 for Session 2 (July 22–Aug 10, 2019)
We invite all parents and guests to join us for a performance of our campers. They will show their talents and what they have learned at Camp.
9:30 am: Parents arrive (snacks will be served, $5/person, pre-registration required.)
10:00-11:00 am: Performance
noon – 11:00 am the next day: Departure of Residential campers
What To Bring for All Campers
- If your child is required to take medication at camp, a copy of the Doctor’s prescription MUST accompany the original pharmacy bottle. This must be brought on the first day.
- Please clearly label all clothing. Sneakers rather than flip-flops or sandals are suggested. We recommend keeping a sweatshirt in campers’ bags for cooler weather conditions.
- Extra money for trips, class materials and art supplies.
- Students who paid tuition for the 9:00 am-2:00 pm M-Sat. Day Camp automatically receive a camp T-shirt, transportation, and tickets. Students will need additional money for meals during trip days. Other students may participate in trip days upon paying the applicable trip fee. Our trip days pick up times may vary.
- Students in the fine arts program will go on an art supply shopping trip the first day of their fine arts class. Please expect to spend $20-$25.
- Dance students may need to pay an additional $30-$45 for dance props.
What NOT To Bring To Camp
- Electronic smart devices including phones, gaming devices and iPads. Our school’s Electronic Policy bans these devices.
- We strongly discourage bringing any valuables to Camp. Northern Summer Academy and/or Northern Academy of the Arts are not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
What To Bring To Sleepaway Camp
- Our dormitory can begin taking campers as early as 2 pm on Sunday, July 1st for Session 1 and Sunday, July 22nd for Session 2. Please contact email@example.com for arrangements.
- Dorm set including twin sheet, pillow with case, blankets, blanket cover sheet ($100 if purchased from the school dorm)
- Towels ($5 if purchased from the school dorm)
- All items listed for PM Activity Camp
- Each dormitory apartment has a washer and dryer. Students may bring their own detergent and a washing bag.
- Extra money to spend during shopping and trip days. Dorm teachers can lock up money for safe keeping.
What To Bring To Dance Camp
- Dance shoes (can also be purchased at school)
- Form fitting clothes, such as T-shirts, capris, sweat pants, yoga pants (no short shorts, loose/revealing tops, or overly baggy clothing)
- Small towel
- Socks (black socks for boys, no-show socks for girls)
- Contacts (recommended for those with glasses)
- Hair ties and clips for girls
- Deodorant (recommended)
- A change of clothes, for after dance classes (recommended)
Due to the highly physical nature of dance training, certain recommendations are made by the dance department regarding food and healthy eating habits so that our students will have the required nutritional intake to help them grow, study well, and progress in dance.
What To Bring To Afternoon Extension Camp
- Please bring $20-$25 to the first fine arts class. Our teacher will take students on a trip to shop for art materials and tools.
- Sunscreen & sun protection;
- Comfortable athletic clothing & sneakers. A change of clothes is good to have;
- Water bottle (we provide plenty of water for refills at all times);
- Goggles recommended but not mandatory;
- Insect Repellent
What To Bring To Classes?
- Pencils with erasers
- one box of colored pencils
- one subject notebook, wide ruled, 8″ x 10 1/2″
- one 2-pocket folder
- Dance attires for dance and Chinese lion dance classes
We recommend EWR – Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey. Other airports may cost more for pick-ups or drop-offs. If you require the school to provide airport pick up and drop off service, please fill out the Student Travel Information attached to the Transportation Service Policy and email to the Logistics Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are some tips for booking air tickets.