Enrollment Information for All Campers
Dear Campers and Parents:
Welcome to Northern Summer Academy at Northern Academy of the Arts in Middletown. We are excited to welcome returning campers and new families for a memorable summer experience.
The following information will help you prepare for a great camp season:
Registration and Enrollment Documents
- If you haven’t done so, please Register online and submit the Registration Form
- Complete enrollment documents below with original signatures. Please download, read, sign, scan and email all enrollment documents to email@example.com by June 30, 2019 (or July 20th for Session II only). Submitting these forms early will help expedite the enrollment process.
- NSA Parent/Student Handbook (Please read handbook, then sign the last page.)
- Medical Emergency Form & Consent to Treat (If your regular health insurance provider does not provide coverage for your child while abroad, consider purchasing short-term coverage. Northern Summer Academy strongly advises students to purchase travelers insurance.)
- Immunization record. Click HERE to know what Vaccines are needed. On June 13, 2019, the New York State law has removed non-medical exemption therefore Northern Academy can no longer accept application for religious exemption. Click HERE for this new law and FAQs.
- Physical exam within the recent two year. This form is needed in order to participate dance classes and sport activities in the camp. HERE is a sample form that your doctor can use if needed.
- Photo Release Agreement
- Dorm Rules Agreement (Sleepaway campers only)
- Pick-up forms (if parents want to authorize other people to pick up campers)
All parents (including PM Extension programs) are invited to attend the orientation on the 1st day of each camp session (July 1st and/or July 22nd).
Address & Parking
Please park in the parking lot at Academic Building, 1 Ashley Avenue, Middletown, NY 10940.
First Day – Registration and Orientation
July 1, 2019 for Session 1 (July 1–20, 2019)
July 22, 2019 for Session 2 (July 22–Aug 10, 2019)
8:00 – 8:30 am: Arrival of first time campers, registration and document check
8:30 – 9:00 am: Campus tour for new parents / Orientation for parents
8:30 – 10:00 am: Orientation for campers
9:00 – 9:30 am: Orientation for new parents
9:30 – 10:00 am: School introduction for new parents (optional)
10:15 am: Classes begin
Schedules and Fun Activities
During the first day of each session, campers are encouraged to take different classes including science, dance, music, fine arts, Chinese and other activities. By the end of the day, campers should decide on their schedule for the rest of the session.
Click HERE for the schedules of our daily Day Camp, Extension Camp, Sleepaway Camp and trips.
Last Day – Grand Finale
Performances and Exhibition
July 20, 2019 for Session 1 (July 1–20, 2019)
Aug 10, 2019 for Session 2 (July 22–Aug 10, 2019)
We invite all parents and guests to join us for a performance of our campers. They will show their talents and what they have learned at Camp.
9:00 am: Parents arrive (snacks will be served, $5/person.) / Campers’ rehearsals.
9:30-11:30 am: Performances
11:30 am: End of the summer session
noon-11:00 am the next day: Sleepaway campers’ lunch and departure.
Location: Dance Studios, 49 Seward Ave., Middletown (across the street from the parking lot at 1 Ashley Ave.)
What To Bring for All Campers
- If your child is required to take medication at camp, a copy of the Doctor’s prescription MUST accompany the original pharmacy bottle. This must be brought on the first day.
- Please clearly label all clothing. Sneakers rather than flip-flops or sandals are suggested. We recommend keeping a sweatshirt in campers’ bags for cooler weather conditions.
- Extra money for trips, class materials and art supplies.
- Students who paid tuition for the 9:00 am-2:00 pm M-Sat. Day Camp automatically receive a camp T-shirt, transportation, and tickets. Students will need additional money for meals during trip days. Other students may participate in trip days upon paying the applicable trip fee. Our trip days pick up times may vary.
- Students in the fine arts program will go on an art supply shopping trip the first day of their fine arts class. Please expect to spend $20-$25.
- Dance students may need to pay an additional $30-$45 for dance props.
What NOT To Bring To Camp
- Electronic smart devices including phones, gaming devices and iPads. Our school’s Electronic Policy bans these devices.
- We strongly discourage bringing any valuables to Camp. Northern Summer Academy and/or Northern Academy of the Arts are not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
What To Bring To Sleepaway Camp
- For the summer sessions, sleepaway campers’ move-in time is 2pm on Sunday, June 30th (Session 1) and Sunday, July 21nd (Session 2). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for arrangements.
- Dorm set including twin sheet, pillow with case, blankets, blanket cover sheet ($100 if purchased from the school dorm)
- Towels ($5 if purchased from the school dorm)
- All items listed for PM Activity Camp
- Each dormitory apartment has a washer and dryer. Students may bring their own detergent and a washing bag.
- Extra money to spend during shopping and trip days. Dorm teachers can lock up money for safe keeping.
What To Bring To Dance Camp
- Dance shoes (can also be purchased at school)
- Form fitting clothes, such as T-shirts, capris, sweat pants, yoga pants (no short shorts, loose/revealing tops, or overly baggy clothing)
- Small towel
- Socks (black socks for boys, no-show socks for girls)
- Contacts (recommended for those with glasses)
- Hair ties and clips for girls
- Deodorant (recommended)
- A change of clothes, for after dance classes (recommended)
Due to the highly physical nature of dance training, certain recommendations are made by the dance department regarding food and healthy eating habits so that our students will have the required nutritional intake to help them grow, study well, and progress in dance.
What To Bring To Afternoon Extension Camp
- Please bring $20-$25 to the first fine arts class. Our teacher will take students on a trip to shop for art materials and tools.
- Sunscreen & sun protection;
- Comfortable athletic clothing & sneakers. A change of clothes is good to have;
- Water bottle (we provide plenty of water for refills at all times);
- Goggles recommended but not mandatory;
- Insect Repellent
What To Bring To Classes?
- Pencils with erasers
- one box of colored pencils
- one subject notebook, wide ruled, 8″ x 10 1/2″
- one 2-pocket folder
- Dance attires for dance and Chinese lion dance classes
We recommend EWR – Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey. Other airports may cost more for pick-ups or drop-offs. If you require the school to provide airport pick up and drop off service, please fill out the Student Travel Information attached to the Transportation Service Policy and email to the Logistics Department at email@example.com
Here are some tips for booking air tickets.